Tpt.org is a general audience site.
1. Information We May Gather
If you register for the tpt.org User Portal, TPT will keep track of your actions taken on tpt.org and associate that information with the personal information you supply in your User Portal profile to personalize your tpt.org and User Portal experience.
You may turn off cookies that have been placed on your computer by following the instructions on your browser, but if you block our cookies, it may be more difficult (and maybe even impossible) to use some of the Services.
TPT uses Google Analytics, Google Universal Analytics, and our web servers to gather information about the users of our Services. Our web servers and analytics tools will create log files which contain some or all of the following information:
• The Internet Protocol Address (IP Address) of the computer accessing our Services
• The date, time, location, and length of each visit from each IP Address
• Certain technical information such as browser being used
• The path taken through our web site and actions taken throughout a session
• Clicks to links on our Services that lead to other sites
• A record of files downloaded and/or the amount of time spent viewing any video or audio files
• Any errors encountered
• Other metrics provided by services such as: Google Analytics and Google Universal Analytics
Third Party Advertising:
TPT’s Children’s Services do not contain advertising.
For all other Services, we use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when users visit our Services. These companies may use information (not including name, address, email address or telephone number) about visitors to the Services in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to such visitors.
DoubleClick and AdSense will collect and report some or all of the following per advertising unit:
• Geo-location of impressions and clicks
• Certain technical information such as the browser being used
• Other metrics provided by services such as DoubleClick and AdSense
If you want to opt-out of Google services, please view this site for more information.
2. Information You Give Us
TPT’s Children’s Services do not collect personally identifiable information.
We will not collect personally identifiable information from you, other than what you supply to us on a voluntary basis. However, in order to participate in some activities, you might be asked to provide personally identifiable information. For example, this could be in connection with:
• Requests from you which require our direct response
• Information you provide to register for and use Passport (information for members’ use of Passport is handled through MVault, PBS’s station membership registry software)
• Information you provide to register for the tpt.org User Portal
• Subscription registration for sites or services which require subscription (such as email newsletters, though services like MailChimp, RedPoint, SalesForce, SumoMe, Genoo, Survey Monkey, Zapier)
• Contest registration
• Making pledges or donations
• Purchases of merchandise
• Gathering your comments and feedback
• Content submissions and suggestions
• Participation in community postings, bulletin boards or “chat rooms”
• Participation in surveys
• Event registration
• Participation in certain TPT or PBS services
Except as discussed above, personally-identifying information collected by TPT is not provided to outside parties except (i) TPT affiliates (such as PBS, our program co-producers, and other public broadcasting stations), (ii) certain TPT service providers, and (iii) Member List Exchange. Except as specified below for (iii), the information is provided for the sole purpose of — and only to the extent necessary for — delivering the requested goods or services to the user, delivering communications from TPT and TPT affiliates to users who have “opted in” to the receipt of these communications, providing services for and on behalf of TPT, or serving other internal TPT purposes.
• In certain cases, TPT contracts with other companies to provide services on our behalf. Some service providers maintain customer databases with email addresses of web site visitors who have provided them to us by registering at our site, signing up for a newsletter or email, emailing us questions about TPT’s services, submitting online contributions, or making a purchase. Other service providers maintain personally identifiable information provided in connection with a donation in order to process the donation. Our service providers have access to your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide certain services on TPT’s behalf. They are required to maintain the privacy of all such information in their possession or control and only use the information on our or your behalf for the purpose that we have contracted them. They are not authorized to use your information for any other purpose. While we strive to work with reputable third- party vendors, we do not have direct control over third parties.
• TPT also may disclose personal information if it believes that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law or with legal process, (b) protect against misuse or unauthorized use of TPT services, or (c) protect the personal safety or property of users of TPT Services, the public, or TPT and its employees. If you do not want this information collected and used by us for the disclosed purposes, contact Customer Service department at 651-229-1330. Please recognize that if you select to “opt- out,” you may not be eligible for certain activities for which the personally identifiable information is needed.
• We may send you email relating to your membership or other online accounts. This includes order confirmations, renewal/expiration notices, notices of credit card processing problems, other transactional emails, and notifications about major changes to our Services. If you have registered for online discussions or other services, you may receive email specific to your participation in those activities. You may opt out of such notices at any time by sending an email to [email protected]
• We offer email newsletters. If you no longer wish to receive a specific newsletter, you may opt out by following the “unsubscribe” instructions located near the bottom of each newsletter.
3. Security and Confidentiality of Donor Information
TPT makes every effort to ensure that credit card transactions that occur on its Services are secure. TPT has in place what we believe to be appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. Credit card information provided on the Services is protected against unauthorized use by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) security features. The TLS protocol is the industry standard method for creating an encrypted, secure connection between your web browser and a web server, such as the web site’s server. You should, however, keep in mind that no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Because most e-mail is not encrypted, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
TPT may publish a list of donors (for example, as part of our Annual Report.) This listing may indicate a monetary range into which each donor’s gift falls. If you wish to be excluded from any such listing, contact us as indicated below. In addition, TPT is required to disclose the identity of all donors who provide direct funding for any television program produced by TPT.
4. Member List Exchange Policy
TPT will not sell or rent our member’s names with any organization. TPT will, on occasion, exchange membership lists with other well-established charitable, cultural non-profit organizations. We believe that the opportunities for increased financial support and the cost reductions resulting from list exchanges conducted within the guidelines of this policy will help us deliver more mission-related services to the public.
In exchanging lists, the following principles will always apply:
1. We will not sell, rent, give or exchange member’s names to, with or from any candidate for public office, committees or organizations supporting a candidate, political parties, or organizations that solicit funds for use in political campaigns for any purpose.
2. We will respect the privacy of all members by offering a means by which their names may be suppressed upon their request and we will honor their requests. We will provide notice of this option in our magazine and in other mailings to members. Also, we will endeavor to provide additional notices of this option throughout the year in other ways including on our Services. Members are encouraged to contact our Customer Service department at 651-229-1330 if they wish to be removed from any list.
3. We will maintain active control of our membership lists by informing others, including any list brokers we may hire, of this policy and by taking steps to enforce this policy. We will have a written agreement, which contains provisions consistent with this policy, with all list brokers we hire.
4. When we use a list broker to facilitate a list exchange we will ensure that the list is only for specifically approved uses and the only information provided will be the member’s name, address and/or telephone number.
5. We may enter into agreements with outside companies in fulfillment of member premiums or an “affinity” program which would use our donor list for marketing such program. We will only enter into an “affinity” program which would offer our members a quality product at or below market price and which would provide revenue to TPT.
6. We will maintain complete and accurate records of all uses of membership and donor lists for at least such time as required by law or regulation.
7. We will comply with the laws and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service, the State of Minnesota, the United States Postal Service, and the certification requirements of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
5. Children’s Services: Parental Consent, Access, Deletion
Children’s Services include the “SciGirls Busy As a Bee” app (“App”) and the “MNO Play and Learn” app (“MNO App”).
The App utilizes PBS Kids’ login application programming interface (“API”). Any login, password and account creation information is shared with PBS Kids. For information on PBS Kids’ privacy practices, please see: https://www.pbs.org/about/pbs-privacy-policy/.
During the account set-up process, a pre-generated username and password is available to users or, alternatively, users can create their own username and password. Users will also be asked to select a set of images that will be used as a security question in the event they require a password retrieval. Other than the account set-up information, the App collects no other information from users. If you or your child chooses to create a username, please be aware that the username is public and visible to other users of the app. Accordingly, please use caution in disclosing any personal information within the username. Although new usernames are subject to review and approval by PBS Kids, we are not responsible for the information you or your child submits as a username or for other user’s actions with respect to that information.
The MNO App collects no information from users and does not require an account set-up process.
TPT endeavors to obtain a parent or legal guardian’s consent before collecting, using, or disclosing information from children. Parents or legal guardians of users accessing Children’s Services may contact us to ask if we have collected their child’s personally identifiable information, to review that information, if any, and request that TPT stop collecting this information and have it deleted. Such requests are subject to TPT verifying to our satisfaction that the requester is in fact the child’s parent or legal guardian.
6. Other Terms
Services operated by TPT may contain links to other sites. TPT is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other web sites.
Services operated by TPT may include comment sections, ratings, chat rooms, forums, message boards and/or other interactive elements and public areas where users can post information. Please remember that any information or content that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in these areas. TPT is not responsible or liable for any personally identifiable or any other information or content presented in such areas by users or for other user’s actions with respect to that information.
TPT complies with all laws and regulations as applicable to the Services, as well as the certification requirements of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. TPT supports the Consumer Reports WebWatch guidelines to promote credible information practices on the Web. (Click here for more information on Consumer Reports WebWatch.)
This Policy was last updated on August 8, 2018.
If you have questions regarding this Policy, please contact Customer Service at 651-229-1330 or send an email to [email protected] or send mail to Member Services, Twin Cities Public Television, 172 E. 4th St., St. Paul, MN 55101.