Save the Date - Join us on May 3 at the Mall of America to celebrate all the authors!
What is the PBS KIDS Writers Contest and who can enter?
The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is the largest annual national contest of its kind for kids in K-3rd grade! All kids will get a participation certificate; additional prizes will be awarded for first place and honorable mention winners! First place winners’ stories will go to the national contest!
When does it start and how do I sign up?
PBS KIDS on tpt's contest runs from January 1 - March 29. Parents and Educators* can fill out an entry form for each child and mail their story to:
Twin Cities Public Television
Attn: Writers Contest
172 East Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101
*Educators – Parent/guardian signature is required on all entry forms.
Download an entry form now (PDF):
English Hmong Somali Spanish
What are the rules? Click here for complete rules (PDF).
Some important reminders:
- Parent/guardian signature is REQUIRED on all Contest Entry Forms. Entry forms not signed by a parent/guardian will be returned to submitter.
- Only one entry per child
- Use only one side of the paper
- Number each page on the back
- Word count:
- Grades K - 1 minimum-50, maximum-200
- Grades 2 - 3 minimum-100, maximum-350
- Word count includes "a" "an" "the" but not words on nonstory pages (e.g. title page) or those that enhance illustrations
- Stories must have at least 5 original illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, 3-D and photos taken by the author
- Text must be printed/written legibly or typed
- Non-English text must be translated into English text on the same page and the translated English text must adhere to the word count
- Stories will not be returned unless accompanied with a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope.
- Remember to review the official rules for a complete listing of requirements not included in this list.
- Stories must be dropped off at tpt by 5pm on March 28 or postmarked by March 29. Late entries will not be accepted.
Can I see examples of past years' stories?
PBS KIDS National Stories
PBS KIDS on tpt's 2013 Local Winners
Need documents in another language? (PDF Downloads)
PBS LearningMedia: This special resource collection is designed to support educators as they work with students to brainstorm story ideas, hone their writing skills, and prepare their Contest entries.
PBS KIDS Writers Contest - Writing Guide: For teachers, parents and caregivers to assist primary-aged children in creating stories. (PDF)
2013 ELA Common Core Alignment Chart: Educators, see how the Contest fits in the Core Curriculum. (PDF)
Teacher Guide and worksheets: A series of teaching resources to help your students break down the process of story writing. (PDF)
Have more questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-229-1118
Twin Cities Public Television © 2000 - 2014